As part of their preparations for publishing data through GBIF, prospective publishers must complete the online form below.
Your answers help us provide proper credit and attribution for the datasets you share. They also help users understand more about the provenance of data shared through the GBIF network.
Before GBIF indexes a new publisher's datasets, the institution must receive endorsement as a data publisher from one of the Participant nodes that coordinate activities of the national and organizational Participants in the GBIF network. If your country is not yet a participant, GBIF will coordinate the endorsement request through the GBIF Nodes Steering Group (NSG).
The endorsement procedure aims to ensure that:
- Published data are relevant to GBIF’s scope and objectives
- Arrangements for data hosting are stable and persistent
- Data publishing and use are supported by strong national, regional and thematic engagement
- Data are as open as possible and available for sharing and reuse
- Data publishers can respond to feedback and improve data quality
Note: At present, GBIF and its Participants only publish data from organizations—that is, institutions, networks and societies—rather than individuals. Options for individuals who wish to publish data include: