As a key outcome of one of the two projects in the programme for Data mobilization in European Russia, this workshop held in Moscow at the P.P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences (SIO RAS), contributed to the delivery of data publishing training to Russian data holders as part of the project, GBIF.ru data mobilisation activities. Held over three days from the 15th to 17th of May, the workshop was aimed at those with an interest to digitisation of natural history collections. Participants were invited from various Russian organisations allowing collection curators, researchers, university teachers, PhD students and Nature Reserve workers to attend.
The practical workshop combined two activities; A data publishing workshop and digitisation of collections workshop organized by the MEDUSA project (Multidisciplinary EDUcation and reSearch in mArine biology in Norway and Russia project funded by the Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Education SIU). Thus, the program covered all steps of data processing from digitising labels to data publishing through IPT. The documents of presentations covered are available below.
Intensive training was given on the following topics related to data digitisation:
- GBIF: Role and mission
- Introduction to digitisation, institutional and global value
- Principles of digitisation, what and why
- Starting and running a digitisation project in a (wet) collection
- Getting Started: Challenges & Goals of digitizing the collection
- Europe Do's and Don'ts of data capture
- GBIF in Russia - why join the community. Introduction to data standards in GBIF
- Data publishing through IPT
As the result of the workshop 10 new GBIF publishers were registered, mostly from European Russia which will assist in the wider accessibility of data in the country.
- Institute of Ecology of the Volga river basin of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Bashkir State University
- Nikolai Pertsov White Sea Biological Station
- Institute of Oceanology P.P. Shirshov
- Pskov State University
- Petrozavodsk State University
- Institute of North Industrial Ecology Problems – Subdivision of the Federal Research Centre “Kola Science Centre of Russian Academy of Science”
- Karelian Research Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- All-Russian Research Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (VILAR)
- Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Education ‘Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin’