To prepare for publishing data through GBIF, we ask prospective new publishers to complete the online form below.
Your answers will help us to give proper credit and attribution for the datasets you share. They will also help users to understand more about the provenance of data shared through the GBIF network.
Before GBIF indexes your datasets, your institution must receive endorsement as a data publisher from one of the Participant nodes that coordinate activities of the national and organizational Participants in the GBIF network. If your country is not yet participating in GBIF, we will seek endorsement on your behalf from the GBIF community.
The endorsement procedure aims to ensure that:
- Published data are relevant to GBIF’s scope and objectives
- Data hosting arrangements are stable and persistent
- Data publishing and use are supported by strong national, regional and thematic engagement
- Data are as open as possible, and available for sharing and reuse
- Data publishers can respond to feedback and improve data quality
Note: At present, GBIF and its Participants only publish data from organizations—that is, institutions, networks and societies—rather than individuals. Individuals wishing to publish data should work through their affiliated organizations to seek endorsement as a publisher.