This workshop was designed to instruct the teams from the Chilean and Ecuadorian nodes in processing and publishing biodiversity data as part of the CESP2017 Project "Establishing a national node for Chile to enhance Latin America regional capacity". This mentoring workshop was achieved through a visit to the Technical Secretariat of the Colombian Biodiversity Information System (SiB Colombia) along with GBIF Spain.
Nine participants were selected to attend from Chile and one from Ecuador with a range of professional biodiversity backgrounds. All of the documents and materials presented from this workshop have been made available as an online resource
Activities focused on the learning and documenting through the publication process including describing a dataset using metadata standards, cleaning data with appropriate tools, normalizing data using Darwin Core standard and publishing data on the GBIF network using the Integrated Publishing Toolkit (IPT).
- Introduction to GBIF
- What is GBIF Spain? Services provided by the node
- The state of the Chile Biodiversity Node
- The state of the Ecuador Biodiversity Node
- Infrastructure information of GBIF Spain portal data based on the ALA (Atlas of Living Australia)
- Publication of biodiversity data
- Flow of biodiversity data
- Basic concepts on the publication of biodiversity data standards and licensing
- Basic concepts of quality and cleaning of biodiversity data
- Skills and tools for biodiversity data cleaning and quality
- Introduction to publication through the IPT
- What are data items and what can be published?