Progress and plans
- to make information from Spanish collections and institutions (and other sources) available to the international GBIF network and to coordinate GBIF-related activities in Spain
- to provide technical support, information, training, open and free software
- to ensure coherence between national initiatives and the GBIF informatics architecture in order to assure interoperability
- to maximize the data value by developing tools for data analysis, validation, and visualization
- to compiling and distribute relevant information to the benefit of collections as well as to our knowledge of biodiversity and its management
The support for Spanish GBIF Node and the basic financial contribution to GBIF are provided by the Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation.
The Ministry of Science and Technology (now Ministry of Science, Universities and Innovation commissioned the Spanish Research Council (CSIC) to initiate and coordinate the activities of GBIF in Spain (see the Government Official Journal (BOE).
The CSIC, with support and advice from the National Museum of Natural History and the Royal Botanic Garden established the Coordination Unit of GBIF.ES in 2003.
GBIF.ES is set up as a network of Spanish data providers (research institutes, universities, environmental governments, citizen science initiatives, NGOs, etc.) and a Coordination Unit, located at the Royal Botanic Garden. GBIF.ES reports progress on its activity to a National Assessment Committee, formed by representatives from Ministry of Science and Research Council.