- GBIF publisher since
- 11 January 2018
DescriptionFounded by Carl Haussknecht (1838–1903) in Weimar in 1896, the Herbarium Haussknecht was initially a private institution comprising the vast collections brought together by its founder in a separate building. After Haussknecht’s death in 1903 and execution of a foundation from his estate, the collections were maintained and increased by Joseph Bornmüller (1862–1948). After World War II, the collections were moved to Jena and were affiliated to the Institute of Systematic Botany of the Friedrich Schiller University, to which they officially belong since the 1920s. Actually, the Herbarium Haussknecht houses about 3.5 Million herbarium specimens, being one of the major European herbaria.
Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Institute of Ecology and Evolution, Fürstengraben 1