The GBIF Secretariat, located in Copenhagen, is offering a temporary position in the role of Data Administrator, to work in a small team responsible for GBIF data content and quality. Responsibilities include data publisher and user support around the GBIF data index and portal (GBIF.org).
This is a full-time position located in Copenhagen best-suited for candidates from the wider GBIF community and limited to a duration of up to six (6) months. The deadline for the receipt of applications is 15 April 2023.
Function and task description
In this role, you will work as part of the Data Products team tasked with managing all aspects of data processing and data content. This is a varied role, including elements of:
- Overseeing and troubleshooting the ingestion of data from a distributed network of collection and observation datasets
- Supporting data publishers and users with both technical and data content-related questions
- Supporting the publication and quality control of new data resources through interactions with the data publisher community and the GBIF regional support contractors
- Documenting and communicating data content and quality requirements, and addressing issues diagnosed with data content
Preferred skills and experience
This time-limited position is best suited for candidates from the wider GBIF community who already have a solid working knowledge of
- The data content, structure and components behind GBIF.org
- The GBIF Integrated Publishing Toolkit (IPT)
- XML, and experience with relevant standards for data exchange (e.g. Darwin Core Archive, ABCD/BioCASe, EML)
- Knowledge of R or Python
- Basic understanding of JSON web services and their use
Other desirable skills include:
- Relational databases and SQL, as well as experience with data processing and/or working with large databases
- Previous experience working on data quality will be an advantage
- Ability to work in an English-speaking environment
- Professional skills regarding giving support, guidance and feedback to internal and external contacts with varied professional and cultural backgrounds
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A good team atmosphere and vibrant international working environment
- The opportunity to work publicly on open-source projects, having direct involvement with the international data holder and -user communities
- Most importantly, we offer the chance to contribute significantly to an international effort to build and run the global web platform for open biodiversity data
This post is a great opportunity for a candidate who has a good eye for detail, is proactive in fixing issues, and takes enjoyment in seeing things improve. You will be working for an international organization in a science- and technology-based setting in biodiversity informatics for sustainable development. If you match these requirements, we look forward to hearing from you.
GBIF salaries are competitive and are exempt from Danish income tax. The general expectation is that the selected candidate will reside in Denmark for the duration of the contract.
Application procedure and deadline
To apply, please send a curriculum vitae (max two (2) pages A4) along with a cover letter (max one (1) page A4) that details your skills and qualifications and how you envisage adding value to GBIF.
Applications must be submitted in English by email to Dataemail@example.com by 15 April 2023 at 23:59 CEST. Please indicate in the application where you saw this advertisement.
Enquiries concerning the position can be addressed to the GBIF HR Manager, Susanne Sheldon.
Interviews for the position are expected to take place in early May 2023.