The national stakeholders meeting aimed to bring together the key data holding institutions in Guinea to learn more about GBIF and discuss how to strengthen the node. Representatives from these institutions participated in a training course led by GBIF France. They developed practical skills for improving biodiversity data quality, publishing datasets through GBIF, and using the data to generate maps and ecological niche models. The training included a session to explore GBIF.org to learn how to visualize and download biodiversity data, and introduced the concept of data papers as an incentive for data publishing.
These activities are part of a collaborative project between GBIF Guinea and GBIF France, co-funded by the capacity enhancement support programme. A compilation of presentations can be found in the documents below. All of the presentations and demonstrations made by the GBIF France trainers were recorded and have been arranged as an online course on the GBIF France e-learning website.
Specific topics covered:
- Orientation to GBIF
- State of play: National needs in Guinea
- Presentation if GBIF France and the GBIF network
- Introduction to data quality: Good practices and recommendations
- Methods and tools to improved data quality
- How to publish occurence data and save datasets to GBIF and IPT
- Data papers
- QGIS with practical demonstration
- Maxtent tool