The fifth GBIF African Nodes meeting will focus on progress updates of the African regional strategy and discuss the way forward for implementing the strategy in the next year.
Specifically the meeting will focus around:
- An event involving the official launch of Benin Biodiversity Information System’s portal;
- Progress report from the GBIF African Nodes representative, and various members of task groups
- Progress report from the African GBIF Science Committee
- Progress report from the African JRS project on mobilizing priority biodiversity data for policy
- Nodes highlights, achievements, challenges, recommendations and plan for 2015
- Further actions to advance biodiversity information management in Africa, including the African Coordinating Mechanism
- Determine African contribution to the overall GBIF global strategic plan and work programme
Ahead of the meeting, the African GBIF Science Committee will meet for the first time on Monday 30th of June. This committee will guide the African Nodes in implementing actions on agreed priorities on data mobilization and use. A meeting of the African JRS project on mobilizing policy relevant biodiversity data will take place on Tuesday the 1st of July.
A full report of the 5th African Nodes meeting will be available after the event.