University of Amsterdam (NL) - Páramo vegetation research, Central Andean Cordillera - Colombia
CitationCleef A M, Reyes P (2017). University of Amsterdam (NL) - Páramo vegetation research, Central Andean Cordillera - Colombia. Version 7.4. University of Amsterdam / IBED. Occurrence Dataset https://doi.org/10.15468/io5yys accessed via GBIF.org on 2017-11-23.
DescriptionThe Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED) from University of Amsterdam (UvA) has been working on the Paramos of Colombia since 1970, collecting information on different aspects of plant ecology in the paramo. The Central Cordillera area include the National Natural Park Los Nevados, National Natural Park Purace and Nevado del Huila. This dataset is generated from 5 sources: 1. A study by Helmut Sturm and Orlando Rangel in 1985 about the ecology of Andean paramos, in the National Natural Park Los Nevados and in the Nevado del Huila (Huila volcano). 2. A study of monitoring and modelling of diverse and dynamic ecosystems in the paramos of los Nevados National Park by Bob Pels in 1990. 3. A Ph.D. study about the vegetation of the paramo and its dynamics in the volcanic massif Ruiz-Tolima, done by Sonia Salamanca in 1991, this project was part of a bigger project called ECOANDES which cover different aspects of the ecology of the central cordillera in Colombia. 4.A study on the phytosociology of plant communities of the National Natural Park Purace, done by Andres Duque in 1988. All studies provided information on the occurrence and location of 6947 plant species from the Paramo in this area collected in 332 releves. For the purpose of the GBIF data-publishing, vegetation releve data were converted into species occurrence data.
PurposePurpose 1: Data in TurboVeg Purpose 2: data converted to species occurrence. Data repatriation to Colombia to be used in actual research.
Study ExtentThe data was collected in the area of the National Natural Park Los Nevados (central cordillera) in an altitudinal range between 3800m and 4500m. The Ruiz-Tolima volcanic massif was studied including sites such as the Santa Rosa, Santa Isabel volcanoes, the Ruiz paramo and the Otun lake. In the National Natural Park Los Nevados, specifically at the Ruiz paramo the studied were done close by motel “El Refugio”, “El Silencio” farm in Laguna Verde which is located between the volcanoes of Ruiz and Santa Isabel and also close to the road between Fresno - Manizales.
Also the National Natural Park Nevado del Huila, the localities included the area closed to the road between Belalcazar - Cali about 2950m up to the site known as Irlanda. And finally the National Natural Park Purace located in the Cauca and Huila provinces. Includes the municipalities of San Sebastián, Santa Rosa, Puracé, Inzá, Sotará and Totoró in Cauca and the municipalities of La Argentina, La Plata, Isnos, Saladoblanco and San Agustín in Huila.
SamplingThe vegetation sampling was done by the relevé method following the Braun-Blanquet principles. The relevé is a list of the plants in a delimited plot of vegetation, with information on species cover and on substrate and other abiotic features in the plot to make as complete as possible description in terms of community composition. Different releves were done at different altitudes in the Paramo.
The community vegetation releve data were converted into species occurrence data.
Quality ControlThe data stored in TurboVeg was checked to identify errors in the information or gaps needed to be filled. The two main fields identified to be checked/completed were the georeference data (including precision) and the validation of the taxonomy of each species. The georeference information still needs to be completed.
- Releve data was stored in the software TurboVeg and then exported into species occurrence data. The species list used in TurboVeg was checked by an expert to confirm the valid taxonomy (taking into account taxonomy changes, synonyms, etc)(Guido van Reenen, paramo species list). This list was cross-checked with The Plant List (http://www.theplantlist.org/), for the period July 2011 until February 2013 (during this time frame the names where the accepted). A big part of the records are still lacking a georeference with its precision estimation. Also the specific habitat indication needs to be done.
All plants identified to species level. Vegetation including phanerogams, bryophytes and lichens.
Plantaecommon name: Phanerogams rank: kingdom
Plantaecommon name: Bryophytes rank: kingdom
Fungicommon name: Lichens rank: kingdom
Central Cordillera begins in the area called Macizo Colombiano between Cauca and Huila and ends up at the Serranía San Lucas (Bolivar). The extension is 1000km and it covers a surface of 110.000km2. Two main rivers are the limits of the mountain range, west by Cauca and east by Magdalena river. The highest point is located at Nevado del Huila which reaches 5750 meters above sea level. Is the most volcanic mountain range, the volcanos Galeras, Sotará, Puracé, Huila, Tolima, and Santa Isabel are found in central cordillera. The data was collected in the area of the National Natural Park Los Nevados which is part of four provinces covering the municipalities of Villamaría (Caldas province), Pereira, Santa Rosa de Cabal (Risaralda province), Salento (Quindio province), Anzoátegui, Casabianca, Villa Hermosa, Santa Isabel, Murillo, Herveo e Ibagué (Tolima province). Also the National Natural Park Nevado del Huila was studied and is located between the provinces of Cauca (municipalities Páez, Corinto and Toribio), Huila (municipalities of Teruel, Iquira and Santamaría) and in Tolima (municipalities of Planadas and Rioblanco) And finally the National Natural Park Purace located in the Cauca and Huila provinces. Includes the municipalities of San Sebastián, Santa Rosa, Puracé, Inzá, Sotará and Totoró in Cauca and the municipalities of La Argentina, La Plata, Isnos, Saladoblanco and San Agustín in Huila. The altitudinal range of the data goes from 2650m.a.s.l. up to 4650m.a.s.l.
- Pels, B. 1990. Monitoring and modellimg of diverse and dynamic ecosystems. The case of the paramos and andean forests of Los Nevados National Park, Colombia. University of Amsterdam. The Netherlands. - n/a
- Salamanca, S. 1991. The vegetation of the paramo and its dynamics in the volcanic massif Ruiz/Tolima (Cordillera Central, Colombia). PhD report. Hugo de Vries Laboratory. University of Amsterdam. The Netherlands. 121p - n/a
- Duque, A. 1988. Comunidades vegetales del Parque Nacional Natural Purace. Una aproximacion fitosociológica. Report Proyecto Plan de Manejor del Parque Purace. Convenio Fundacion Universitaria de Popayan - INDERENA. Popayan, Colombia. 61p. - n/a
- Salamanca, S., A.m. Cleef and O. Rangel-Ch. 2003. The paramo vegetation of the volcanic Ruiz-Tolima massif. 1-77p. In: Studies on Tropical Andean Ecosystems: La Cordillera Central Colombiana, Transecto Parque de los Nevados, Vol.5. (van der Hammen, T. and A. G. dos Santos Eds). Berlin - ISBN 3-443-65004-X
ContactsAntoine M. Cleef
University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904
position: Research Assistent
NLBIF, IBED, University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904
Henk de Vries
position: Node Manager
P.O. Box 9517
Antoine M. Cleef
administrative point of contact
University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904