University of Amsterdam (NL) - Páramo Vegetation Research, Rabanal, Guerrero and Villa de Leyva paramo complex, Colombia
CitationCleef A M, Reyes S P (2017). University of Amsterdam (NL) - Páramo Vegetation Research, Rabanal, Guerrero and Villa de Leyva paramo complex, Colombia. Version 9.4. University of Amsterdam / IBED. Occurrence Dataset https://doi.org/10.15468/a3d8oq accessed via GBIF.org on 2018-01-24.
DescriptionThe Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED) from University of Amsterdam (UvA) has been working on the Paramos of Colombia since 1970, collecting information on different aspects of plant ecology. The Rabanal, Guerrero and Villa de Leyva paramo complex data set is generated from six sources. 1. Field data from professor Antoine Cleef (derived from his PhD thesis on paramo vegetation in the eastern cordillera (1981), the ECOANDES project and independent field trips), the data wascollected in four field campaigns in 1977, 1983, 1984 and 1989. 2.A study on Andean Paramo’s ecology by H. Sturm and O. Rangel done in 1985. 3.A study on the phytosociological analysis of paramo vegetation by R. Sanchez and O. Rangel in 1990. 4. A study about the influence of potato cultivation in the paramo vegetatation by W. Ferwerda in 1987. 5. A study of limit vegetation ecology done by M.L. Becking and J.j. Smeets in 1989 part of the ECOANDES project. 6. A study on the description of paramo vegetation by R. Bekker and A. Cleef in 1985. All studies provide information on the occurrence and location of 7868 plant species from the Paramo in this area.
For the purpose of the GBIF data-publishing, vegetation releve data were converted into species occurrence data.
PurposePurpose 1: Data in TurboVeg Purpose 2: data converted to species occurrence. Data repatriation to Colombia to be used in actual research.
Study ExtentThe area includes the complex of Rabanal and Guerrero and also part of Villa de Leyva, it is located in the eastern cordillera in the provinces of Boyaca and Cundinamarca. The sampling sites included in Cundinamarca the paramo of Laguna Verde, San Cayetano-Cogua (hill sides of upper Guandoque river valley), Neusa (dam), Guarga and in Boyaca: Villa de Leyva (road between vereda Candelaria - via La Mina). The data was collected by different projects and dates between 1976 and 1989.
SamplingThe vegetation sampling was done by the relevé method following the Braun-Blanquet principles. The relevé is a list of the plants in a delimited plot of vegetation, with information on species cover and on substrate and other abiotic features in the plot to make as complete as possible description in terms of community composition. Different releves were done at different altitudes in the Paramo.
The community vegetation releve data were converted into species occurrence data.
Quality ControlThe data stored in TurboVeg was checked to identify errors in the information or gaps needed to be filled. The two main fields identified to be checked/completed were the georeference data and the validation of the taxonomy of each species. Also the gaps in terms of the precision of the georeference data were filled.
- Releve data was stored in the software TurboVeg and then exported into species occurrence data. The species list used in TurboVeg was checked by an expert to confirm the valid taxonomy (taking into account taxonomy changes, synonyms, etc)(Guido van Reenen, paramo species list). This list was cross-checked with The Plant List (http://www.theplantlist.org/), for the period July 2011 until February 2013 (during this time frame the names where the accepted). Many of the data was lacking a georeference, precision of the georeference data and specific habitat indication. In 2012 to improve the dataset quality, it was completed as detail and precise as possible using several online resources, consultation with experts and revision of the original data. The georeference data was completed mainly with the use of Google Maps, in collaboration with A. Cleef and checking the original field notes and the publications.
All plants identified to species level. Vegetation including phanerogams, bryophytes and lichens.
Plantaecommon name: Phanerogams rank: kingdom
Plantaecommon name: Bryophytes rank: kingdom
Fungicommon name: Lichens rank: kingdom
The area includes the complex of Rabanal and Guerrero, it is located in the eastern cordillera in the provinces of Boyaca and Cundinamarca in Colombia. The Rabanal paramo is located in the biggest plateau of the country, called “Altiplano Cundiboyacense” in the municipalities of Lenguazaque, Guachetá, Villapinzón (Cundinarmaca) and Samacá, Ráquira and Ventaquemada (Boyaca). The altitudinal range varies from 2.690m.a.s.l. up to 3.500m.a.s.l. The Guerrero complex is located in north side of the Cundinamarca province and includes the municipalities of Carmen de Carupa, Tausa, Zipaquirá, Subachoque, Cogua, Pacho, San Cayetano y Susa. The altitudinal range varies from 3.200m.a.s.l. up to 3.780m.a.s.l.
- Sturm H., O. Rangel. 1985. Ecologia de los Paramos Andinos: una visión preliminar integrada. Instituto de Ciencias Naturales - Universidad Nacional de Colombia. Bogota. 292p. - n/a
- Sanchez-M., R. and O. Rangel-Ch. 1990. Estudios ecologicos en la cordillera oriental colombiana V. Analisis fitosociológico de la vegetación de los depositos turbosos paramunos de los alrededores de Bogotá. Caldasia 16 (77): 155-192. - n/a
- Ferwerda, W. 1987. The influence of potato cultivation on the natural bunchgrass paramo in the Colombian Cordillera Oriental. Internal Report no. 220. Hugo de Vries Laboratory. University of Amsterdam. - n/a
- Becking, M.L. and J.J.H.R. Smeets. 1988. A compartive study of forest limit vegetation ecology in a relatively dry climate (NEUSA) and in a relatively wet climate (CHINGAZA) in the Cordillera Oriental, Colombia. ECOANDES report - n/a
- Bekker, R. and A.M. Cleef. 1985. La vegetación del Paramo de la Laguna Verde (municipio de Tausa, Cundinamarca). Análisis geográficos No. 14. Instituto geografico Agustin Codazzi - IGAC. Bogota. 193p. - n/a
ContactsAntoine M. Cleef
University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904
S. Paola Reyes
position: Research Assistent
NLBIF, IBED, University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904
Henk de Vries
position: Node Manager
P.O. Box 9517
Antoine M. Cleef
administrative point of contact
University of Amsterdam
Science Park 904