The Cameroonian node has the following goals:
- Strengthen the capacity of the data providers of the GBIF Cameroon node to digitize, clean and publish data on the GBIF portal;
- Raise awareness among teachers and researchers at research institutes and universities about the importance of GBIF and open data sharing;
- Increase the number of Cameroon data providers (from 11 to 15 by 2022);
- Increase the number of occurrences published by Cameroonian contributors (from 112,225 to about 150,000 by 2022);
- Upgrade Cameroon's biodiversity information system by aligning it with GBIF standards.
GBIF Cameroon relies on the CBD Clearing House Mechanism, as its steering committee and scientific committee provides data and a validation commission to validate the data.
The two structures consist of teachers and researchers from universities and research institutes. On this steering committee are also representatives of the departments working in the field of biodiversity.