Pastinachus ater (Macleay, 1883)
- GBIF Backbone Taxonomy
- Pastinachus sephen
Pastinachus ater Macleay 1883
Pastinachus ater (Macleay)
( Figs. 2F , 9 C–E)
All three specimens of this species examined were collected from fish markets in Point Pedro in the Northern Province, one from the Munai market (SL-39) and two from the Kottadi market (SL-63 and SL-64). These specimens were morphologically consistent with Pastinachus ater . This identification was supported by the tree resulting from the Neighbor-Joining analysis, which included representation of all five members of this genus. The Sri Lankan specimens formed a tight cluster with our reference specimen of P. ater (KA-35; JQ518815 ) from Indonesian Borneo. These specimens differed from one another by 0–1 bp, and from the reference specimen of P. ater by 4–5 bp. They differed from the reference specimen of P. sephen (MM-23; JQ518817 ) from the Gulf of Oman by 70–79 bp.
Specimens of this taxon in Sri Lanka have previously been referred to as Pastinachus sephen (Forsskål) (see De Bruin et al. 1995 ; Morón et al. 1998 ; De Silva 2006 ). The latter species is now considered to occur only from the Red Sea to Pakistan ( Last et al. 2016 ). This is the first formal report of P. ater from Sri Lanka .
- Pastinachus ater (Macleay, 1883)
- Common names
- Must naaskelrai in Estonian
- Froese, R. & D. Pauly (Editors). (2019). FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. version (02/2019).
- Last, P.R., G.J.P Naylor and B.M. Manjaji-Matsumoto (2016) A revised classification of the family Dasyatidae (Chondrichthyes: Myliobatiformes) based on new morphological and molecular insights.: Zootaxa 4139(3):345-368.
- eElurikkus (2015) eElurikkus koondab ühte portaali Eesti eluslooduse andmed.: http://elurikkus.ut.ee/