Cobitis splendens Erkakan, Atalay-Ekmekçi & Nalbant, 1998
- GBIF Backbone Taxonomy
- Published in
- Erkakan, F., F. G. Atalay-Ekmekçi & Teodor T. Nalbant. 1998. Four new species and one new subspecies of the genus Cobitis (Pisces: Ostariophysi: Cobitidae) from Turkey. : 9-15.
- Cobitis splendens
Diagnosis. Cobitis splendens is distinguished from all other Cobitis species in the Black Sea basin by a combination of characters, none of them unique. Cobitis splendens is superficially similar to C. satunini but both species are not closely related. Cobitis splendens is distinguished from C. satunini as well as from C. tanaitica, C. elongatoides and C. pontica, three related species from Europe, by the pigmentation in Z 3 reduced to about head length in the male (vs. complete, reaching further behind the dorsal-fin base). While this is a very constant character state in C. splendens, in very few male C. satunini, the pigmentation in Z 3 is reduced making it impossible to distinguish these individuals from C. splendens. Cobitis splendens is distinguished from C. saniae by having the base of the single lamina circularis narrowly connected to the adjacent pectoral-fin ray (vs. widely connected). It is further distinguished from many populations of C. saniae by having roundish or irregularly squarish blotches in Z 4 anterior to the dorsal-fin origin, rarely fused into one stripe (vs. horizontally elongate, often very densely set and regularly fused into short or longer stripes). Cobitis splendens is distinguished from C. puncticulata from the Marmara Sea basin by blotches in Z 2 and Z 4 well separated and large (vs. very small, indistinct or confluent), flank un-pigmented below Z 4 (vs. pigmented) and pale yellowish or whitish body (vs. brownish). It is distinguished from C. simplicispina by having one lamina circularis in the male (vs. two).
Material examined. FSJF 2487, 18, 46 – 86 mm SL; Turkey: Düzce prov.: stream Kovukkavla about 20 km east of Akçakoca, 41.149 31.354. — FFR 5552, 25, 52 – 70 mm SL; Turkey: Düzce prov.: stream Büyük Melen 17 km west of Düzce, 40.763 30.962. Material used in molecular genetic analysis. FSJF DNA- 882; Turkey: Düzce prov.: stream Kovukkavla about 20 km east of Akçakoca, 41.149 31.354. (GenBank accession numbers: KJ 553059, KJ 552919, KP 050522). — FSJF DNA- 2911; Turkey: Düzce prov.: stream Büyük Melen 17 km west of Düzce, 40.763 30.962. (GenBank accession numbers: MH 795385, MH 795386, MH 795387).
- Cobitis splendens Erkakan, Atalay-Ekmekçi & Nalbant, 1998
- Common names
- Bitüünia hink in Estonian
- Sekavec nádherný in Czech
- Splendid spined loach in English
- Taþyiyen balýðý in Turkish
- Erk'akan, F., F.G. Atalay-Ekmekçi and T.T. Nalbant (1998) Four new species and one new subspecies of the genus <i>Cobitis</i> (Pisces: Ostariophysi: Cobitidae) from Turkey.: Turk. J. Zool. 22:9-15.
- Froese, R. & D. Pauly (Editors). (2019). FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication. version (02/2019).
- Hanel, L. and J. Novák (2002) České názvy zivočichů V. Ryby a ryboviti obratlovci (Pisces) 3., maloústí (Gonorhynchiformes) - máloostní (Cypriniformes).: Národní muzeum (zoologické oddělení), Praha.
- eElurikkus (2015) eElurikkus koondab ühte portaali Eesti eluslooduse andmed.: http://elurikkus.ut.ee/
- Çiçek, E., R. Fricke and S.S. Birecikligil (2015) Freshwater fishes of Turkey: a revised and updated annotated checklist.: BIHAREAN BIOLOGIST 9(2):141-157.