Salmo kottelati Turan, Doğan, Kaya & Kanyılmaz, 2014
- GBIF Backbone Taxonomy
- Published in
- Turan, Davut, Esra Doğan, Cüneyt Kaya & Mahir Kanyılmaz. 2014. Salmo kottelati, a new species of trout from Alakır Stream, draining to the Mediterranean in southern Anatolia, Turkey (Teleostei, Salmonidae). ZooKeys 462: 135-151.
- Salmo kottelati
Diagnosis. Salmo kottelati is distinguished from all the described species of Salmo in Turkey by the combination of the following characters: 7 - 9 parr marks along lateral line distinct in males up to at least 176 mm SL and in females up to at least 208 mm SL; absence of four dark bands on flank in males and females; black spots on body numerous, ocellated, scattered on back, middle and upper part of flank (sometimes lower part of flank) in males larger than about 160 mm SL, and females between about 160 − 190 mm SL; in males and females smaller than about 160 mm SL, black spots few, present only on upper part of flank; few to numerous ocellated red spots on back and half of upper and lower flank; number of both black or red spots commonly increasing with size and age in males while number of both black and red spots decreasing with size and age in females; head long (29 - 33 % SL in males, 26 - 32 in females); mouth large (length of mouth gape 13 - 19 % SL in males, 12 - 15 in females), slightly subterminal; maxilla long (10 - 13 % SL in males, 8 - 12 in females), reaching beyond eye in males longer than about 120 mm SL and in females longer than about 170 mm SL; 105 - 113 lateral-line scales (until posterior hypural margin); 24 - 29 scale rows between lateral line and dorsal-fin origin; 17 - 19 scale rows between lateral line and anal-fin origin; 13 - 15 scale rows between lateral line and adipose-fin insertion; gill rakers 18 - 20 on outer side of first gill arch.
Etymology. The species is named for Maurice Kottelat, who contributed to the knowledge of the fish fauna of Europe and Asia.
Asia: Alakr Stream in southern Anatolia, Turkey.
- Salmo kottelati Turan, Doğan, Kaya & Kanyılmaz, 2014
- Common names
- Antalya trout in English
- Turan, D., E. Doğan, C. Kaya and M. Kanyılmaz (2014) <i>Salmo kottelati<i/>, a new species of trout from Alakır Stream, draining to the Mediterranean in southern Anatolia, Turkey (Teleostei, Salmonidae).: Zookeys 462:135-151.
- Turan, D.; Doğan, E.; Kaya, C.; Kanyılmaz, M. (2014). Salmo kottelati, a new species of trout from Alakır Stream, draining to the Mediterranean in southern Anatolia, Turkey (Teleostei, Salmonidae). <em>ZooKeys.</em> 462: 135-151.
- Çiçek, E., R. Fricke and S.S. Birecikligil (2015) Freshwater fishes of Turkey: a revised and updated annotated checklist.: BIHAREAN BIOLOGIST 9(2):141-157.