Training course in Biodiversity information - session 2013, by RMCA
The main objective of this training is to improve the understanding and application of biodiversity information for Sub-Saharan African scientists, university members and students and to increase their participation and ownership in biodiversity informatics.
More specifically :
• To help researchers identify the data from collections, databases and literature that are in their possession and relevant for an on-line publication.
• To involve scientists in digitizing, accessing and sharing data using internationally recognized protocols and tools as those recommended by the GBIF and the Biodiversity Information Standards.
• To enable the use of GIS tools for the visualization of distribution data.
The training will be organized by Biodiversity Information and Cybertaxonomy Cell with the support and funding from the Framework program of the Belgian Directorate General for Development Cooperation (DGDC). The concept of “Biodiversity Information” includes monitoring, conservation and technological innovation adapted to small-scale and infrastructure-limited contexts, taxonomy, climate change, collection management, data mining, distribution modeling. Our goal is to promote the conservation of biodiversity by improving the availability and accessibility of biodiversity data, and to facilitate further information gathering.
NOTE: scholarships are available.
Number of participants and target audience
12 people. Sub-Saharan African scientists, university members and students. Scientists involved in biodiversity monitoring, biodiversity information systems specialists, collection managers, university members, PhD students. The target audience can be composed of both trained IT professionals and scientists who apply IT technology in the context of biodiversity information management.
Deadline for applications: 15 March 2013. To obtain more information about the event, please contact Muriel Van Nuffel, (bioinfotraining AT africamuseum.be), Training and Study Visit Coordinator at the Royal Museum for Central Africa.
- Jacobsen, Kim (Contact)
- Smirnova, Larissa (Contact)
- Van Nuffel, Muriel (Main contact)
3-28 June 2013
The Royal Museum for Central Africa , Tervuren , Belgium