The mapping api is a web map tile service making it trivial to visualize GBIF content on interactive maps, and overlay content from other sources.
Developers familiar with tile mapping services should jump straight to the preview functionality
The following features are supported:
- Map layers available for a country, dataset, taxon (species, subspecies or higher taxon), publisher
- User defined styling by selecting a predefined color palette, or by providing styling rules
- Density of content is clustered to a user defined cluster size (regardless of zoom level)
- The ability to customise content shown by the basis of record (E.g. Specimens, Observations, Fossils etc)
- For certain basis of record types, the time period may be customised by decade; e.g. map the observations of a species since 1970
This service is intended for use with commonly used clients such as the google maps api, leaflet JS library or the modest maps JS library. These libraries allow the GBIF layers to be visualized with other content, such as those coming from web map service (WMS) providers. It should be noted that the mapping api is not a WMS service, nor does it support WFS capabilities. The examples on this page use the leaflet library.