The Department of Biological Sciences at Emporia State University maintains the Schmidt Museum of Natural History with both mounted specimens and prepared study skins of birds and mammals for use in such related courses as mammalogy, ornithology, and wildlife management and the ESU Herbarium with mounted specimens for use in such courses at plant taxonomy, trees and shrubs, and grasses.
The John Wesley Powell and Dale Birkenholz natural history collections consists of approximately 6000 birds and mammals from the Midwest and around the world. It is housed in the School of Biological Sciences and includes study skins, skels, frozen tissues, and stomach contents.
The Mississippi Museum of Natural Science biological collections originated in 1935, and currently consist of more than 1,000,000 specimens, representing the largest single reference for Mississippi vertebrate animals, freshwater mussels, and fossil vertebrates and invertebrates in existence. The collections also contain plant specimens, including rare plants and plants collected from bog, prairie, and savanna habitats of Mississippi.
The Moore Laboratory of Zoology (MLZ) is an organized research unit associated with the Department of Biology at Occidental College in the historic Los Angeles neighborhood of Eagle Rock. The MLZ was founded in 1950 by the late Robert T. Moore (B.A. University of Pennsylvania, 1904, M.A. Harvard, 1905), the famed amateur ornithologist and philanthropist. The Laboratory’s collection of birds and mammals, containing 64,121 specimens (62,382 birds and 2,158 mammal specimens as of September 2002) is among the world’s largest research natural history collections.