To help fulfil GBIF's vision, its Participants and the Secretariat have developed a range of activities and programmes to enhance the capacity of those working towards the common goal, a world in which biodiversity information is freely and universally available for science, society and a sustainable future.
Capacity enhancement empowers all members of the GBIF community to carry out their work in the most effective, self-sustained and stable way possible. It includes improving the way Participants can contribute to and benefit from GBIF, how they organize their work and how they relate to other Participants at regional and global scales.
The major elements of capacity enhancement within GBIF are detailed on the other tabs in this section. They include:
- A capacity enhancement support programme, which provides GBIF Participants with co-funding to address self-identified capacity needs through collaborative regional and international projects.
- Regional collaboration, supporting Participants within the six GBIF regions to develop priorities and projects of mutual interest.
- Training, through courses, workshops and extensive documentation in different languages.
- Capacity programmes for developing countries, funded by international cooperation agencies or other development aid donors.
- Past projects, financed via earlier programmes that have now been integrated into the capacity enhancement programme.